Friday, February 6, 2009

Now I Ain't Sayin She's a Golddigger.....

I feel like I have to address the issue of just how much plastic surgery it will take to make someone a Barbie Doll! I was flipping through channels the other morning when I came across a show called "The Real Housewives of Orange County" I have to say that before I even saw a frame of the show, I had to slow down and think to myself....Real...Housewives....of one of the most affluent counties in California. Great. Frankly the only reason I made myself stick through the entirety of this travesty was this blog on gender. I got a cup of coffee and sat down, already regretting the decision to let whatever I'm about to watch pass through my brain.
Oh, the opening credits. Time to get a look into who these people really are! In orderly fashion, they all say their name followed by a little quote. None caught my attention until it rolled to Lynne. "You know, I'm just a typical Orange County Housewife, and I'm OBSESSED with Being Young!" BEING young, even though she appears in her mid fifties. To accent her youth, she parties constantly, and because of this one of her daughters has become a little rebel, drinking in bowling allies and causing all sorts of hubbub in the OC. Lynne, with a little luck and some seduction, just happened to marry some tycoon who has a net worth of oh, just a couple hundred million. yet shes typical, like the rest of us. Fantastic. Good for you Lynne!
In the first five minutes of this episode I saw enough plastic to create the t.v I was watching, and again I found myself clutching the remote to turn to anything but The Real Housewives of Orange County. However it quickly became clear that that is what this very episode was about. Plastic Surgery. Wonderful! now I get to watch someone try to improve the way they look via a knife and some plastic. After the surgery, her daughter commented "well, now we're going to take her to a get well center, and hey, maybe I might even be able to get her a date!" A new revelation dawned on me. All I need to do is get a little botox, maybe a facelift or two, and just like that every woman will be attracted to me! Is this really the mindset of upper-class America?
As the episode progressed, I found myself getting angrier at this show; everything was fake! Even simple husband to wife interations seemed staged. The basis of the episode was even fake, based on groups of women gossiping and talking trash about their neighbors and friends. I couldn't take it any longer. I cannot imagine a life where all you do is wake up in your larger than life bed in your cookie cutter mansion, hop in your Land Rover and head down to the country club to grab a couple margaritas before you head on over to the mall and drop a few G's on new clothes. Rinse. Wash. Repeat....

No comments:

Post a Comment